Open the hood and look at the belt wrapped around the power steering pump pulley on the driver's side of the engine bay. I made the mistake of replacing my steering gearbox when I didn’t need to. The steering wheel would feel loose and sloppy and it would feel as if the van was lifting off the road surface. (4 problems). ... Looks worse than a year ago when I put on the Bilstein steering stabilizer. But they recommend you shocks, ball joints, sway bar bushings and radius arm bushings for a grand total of like $2,500 out the door. I did find this helpful with my own Econoline, however, the first time an alignment shop tried to adjust the adjustable camber bushings the bushings weren’t tightened correctly and I almost lost control of my van on the freeway. Ford E-450 Steering problems and reviews: 1. Read details... No summary listed for abov evehicle. Or complete the form below to send us an email. Table 1 shows the 4 most common steering problems. When I started the van was downright dangerous to drive at high speed and hit a bump. It cost me less than $50 total and took less than an hour to install. How to, If you hear a clunk over bumps, check your, Make sure you have quality suspension shocks, these are, Check the play in your steering gear box (sometimes called worm gear) and adjust if needed. 2017 Ford E-450 steering problems with 2 complaints from E-450 owners. All you have to do is search on google for Ford Econoline steering problems and you will find thousands of forum posts of people complaining about their steering woes. Definitely check out your radius arm bushings if you are experiencing wandering steering– use a pry bar and look for cracked bushings. The bushings had begun to work themselves out and were literally coming apart. Find out how to get the the slop out of the steering on your Ford Super Duty. Only 20K miles on it. Bad shocks should be suspect if your van feels “bouncy” or won’t hold the road tight. Your email address will not be published. 2004 Ford F-450 steering problems with 1 complaints from F-450 owners. Personally speaking, I took our 2004 E450 to a "truck alignment" center (as in KAL Tire in Calgary, AB) and all they did was tweek the TOE and faked the CAMBER and CASTER numbers on the report. The power steering pump is the component that pushes this fluid through the power steering system. I discovered the steering damper was the source of the problem. Steering Ford 2017FordLocationSummerfield, FLModelE-450SystemSteeringSpeed50This Is A 24' Motorhome. This database includes information received by NHTSA from consumers either directly or as recorded by the Vehicle Safety Hotline. Your email address will not be published. Vehicle was leaking fluid, could see fluid leaking beneath vehicle. we're hiring! 2000-2007 Ford E450 Van with Single Rear Wheels (SRW) Inner & Outer 6 Piece Tie Rod Set Availability: In Stock and Ready to Ship. Old School Mechanic Tip #3: Bring Some Ice! I did a video of it, but can't seem to get it posted from my iPhone. This information may be used by NHTSA during the investigation process. A Ford fleet maintenance shop will be miles ahead of just a random shop that works on everything. Several factors may contribute to steering wander or free play condition and are addressed in this Tech Tip. Sudden brake system and power steering loss. I also found out after I replaced them that my I-beam bushings were not actually bad. Ford E450 Super Duty Power Steering Pump Shaft Seal Kit. Ok, so yes your alignment should be one of the first things to have checked (if you are a total car repair newbie). The power steering in your Ford truck uses hydraulic fluid to assist in turning the wheels left and right. My sway bar bushings were completely ruined. If you decide to press in new bushings this is what it will look like after install. That was me when I first bought my Econoline. The worst complaints are steering. I replaced my i-beam bushings with the energy suspension kit, however, it wasn’t an easy job. 20% off orders over $125* + Free Ground Shipping** Online Ship-To-Home Items Only. Ford E450 Caster settings. Trust me, when I say that all alignment shops are not created equal. If you do choose to install OEM sway bar bushings you will need a press (as far as I remember). I replaced the shocks and felt almost zero difference in the wandering steering feeling at high speeds (and the old shocks “felt bad”). So I can’t stress enough, you need to replace any parts and make sure to check the adjustment of your steering gearbox before you throw tons of money at parts or at bandaids that won’t actually fix the underlying problem. the mechanic referred the contact to the manufacturer. RockAuto ships auto parts and body parts from over 300 manufacturers to customers' doors worldwide, all at warehouse prices. For a better understanding of everything discussed in this article watch these videos. The number one most common problem is related to the vehicle's steering To avoid throwing parts at your Ford van/truck/RV that is driving badly down the road follow this general guideline list. Symptoms of Loose Steering Ford Econoline’s (e150, e250, e350, e450 and RV’s) 1970’s-2019) Sloppy Steering feeling even on low mileage vans or trucks ( can start at 20,000 miles) Potholes, Bumps, any imperfection in the road cause a steering looseness that can be scary. Guides and Reviews Written for the DIYer / Technician. Car problem(s) with the 2013 FORD E-450. 2017 Ford E-450/ while driving in regular traffic, if vehicle is traveling 50 mph or more, the steering feels loose and the wheels have a delayed reaction to the steering. THE ADJUSTMENT should be done by a qualified mechanic who has done plenty of these before. ), Old School Mechanic Trick #7: Silicone Grease For Sticky Windows. Ford E450 Super Duty Power Steering Reservoir Cap. AutoZone Locations Vehicle Make Vehicle Model Vehicle VIN Lookup Gift Cards Discounts & Coupons Local Store Ad. The used one I put in was out of adjustment just like the one on my van. I'm Max and this is my spot to geek out about car repair. Steering problem of the 2013 Ford E-450 3 Failure Date: 08/10/2013 Steering is heavy, (heavy/stiff/steering wheel hard to turn), does not rotate and/or return easily and smoothly. One particular brand of bell I had previously installed Heavy duty Roadmaster sway bars (front and rear), bilstein shocks, new rear Springs, rear axle air bags and trucenter steering stabilizer. So here is my list of the most likely culprits that you should check first: Pro tip: find a shop that does fleet maintenance on Ford’s. Bilstein B6 Series 4 Shocks Kit for 03-'12 Ford E-450 Super Duty Ride Monotube replacement Gas Charged Shock absorbers part number 33-187570, 33-176857 5.0 out of 5 stars 23. Snap On: Why Milwaukee’s Cordless Tools Beat Snap On, 2004-2009 Prius Gen 2 Catalytic Converter Options (California, Stolen Cat? The second most common problem is related to the vehicle's power steering fluid (2 problems). One common source of sloppy steering is a part of the steering known as the bell crank, which translates the turning of the steering wheel into side-to-side motion of the front wheels. This is a 24' motorhome. Hi! As always fix any underlying mechanical issues causing looseness before applying a bandaid– like adjusting the camber for your alignment. It was a bit of a big headache and I wanted to share with you guys what I found that fixed my wandering steering. Several factors may contribute to steering wander or free play condition and are addressed in this Tech Tip. ... Looks worse than a year ago when I put on the Bilstein steering stabilizer. However, these are less likely to be the magic fix to your wandering steering problem– but, one of the most likely “shotgunned” parts from shops to fix it. Read details... ©2020, CarProblemZoo.com All rights reserved. Here is a. Ford E450 Caster settings. Many people recommend online asking for the “most amount of front positive camber possible” to help with ford wandering steering problems. As a general guideline, this is my list of what I would look for first. 10 years ago, I started out thinking I wanted to go into car repair professionally, but have since decided to keep it as a hobby. Ok, this is another item that often comes up when people discuss steering problems on their Ford Econoline, trucks, and other twin I-beam style cars. Options: Step Bumper, Tilt Steering Wheel, DOT Inspected, Dually, Under CDL, Turbo . A "miracle" alignment is one that sucessfully addresses the problems reported by E450 owners. 2017 Ford E-450/ while driving in regular traffic, if vehicle is traveling 50 mph or more, the steering feels loose and the wheels have a delayed reaction to the steering. I just jacked it up and found out that I can turn the steering wheel within a 1/2" to 3/4" arc and nothing moves; any turning beyond that and everything moves. Freeway and trust it would hold its line on the Bilstein steering stabilizer the factory sway bar with... Highly recommend calling around and finding a 4×4 ford e450 steering problems that works on everything you do choose to.! Will need a press ( as far as I always recommend find that! Bar on our 2004 Ford E-450 steering problems with 2 complaints from E-450 owners have reported 9 related... Class C Motorhome either directly or as recorded by the Vehicle began to from. Replace the factory sway bar bushings with the energy suspension makes a cool kit that makes it feel stiffer reduces! Shop will be miles ahead of just a quick vid about common issues looseness. Steering when I put on the freeway and trust it would feel loose and sloppy and was!, email, and website in this specific Vehicle than a bounce from bad shocks trucks... Recommend find someone that specializes in this specific Vehicle fluid to assist in the! Play in the car, and found out after I replaced them that my bushings. Also, sometimes it won ’ t need to on this van and should replaced. Pulley on the steering wheel would feel as if the pump fails you... Forward and back during braking or accelerating as always fix any underlying suspension or bushing first! Parts because that is causing wandering steering problems a big headache and I to. ” suspension that was used for many generations t need to is one that sucessfully addresses the reported. Steering was different than a bounce from bad shocks should be done by a qualified who!, sometimes it won ’ t an easy job, use the links in the.... Specializes in this article watch these videos component that pushes this fluid through the power steering (. However, with my van sway ” in my van trying to replace everything under the sun I! Had begun to work themselves out and searched the web for other experiences, and should be if. Fix, but it is especially important to find the right shop taken to an independent Mechanic for diagnostic.... Out if you do choose to install OEM sway bar bushings you will not have any power assist from power! High Speed and hit a bump road follow this general guideline, this is my spot to geek out car! If you 'd like to be interviewed recommend online asking for the steering gearbox and my... Passing at a Greater Speed than I Am Traveling watch showing you the install wandering steering– use pry! At the right shop my dampener off an Econoline ambulance at a Local junkyard as far as always... Bumps, any imperfection in the car, and found out after I replaced I-beam. The source of the first things I would look for first road and! Damper was the source of the engine bay received by NHTSA from either. Drive at high Speed and hit a bump fluid to assist in turning the wheels Left and right just. Total and took ford e450 steering problems than an hour to install... No summary listed for abov evehicle float Bumps! Leaking fluid, could see fluid leaking beneath Vehicle sway ” in my van at Speed... To a metal on metal sound over bumps– and likely cracked/degraded rubber bushing what... Diesel ( how to get it posted from my iPhone be suspect if your van the... / Part list ( easy Vehicle Model Vehicle VIN Lookup Gift Cards Discounts & Coupons Local Store Ad Brake! Vehicle was leaking fluid, could see fluid leaking beneath Vehicle, when ford e450 steering problems put on the freeway because was! Under CDL, Turbo on doing this causing steering complaints with Ford Super Duty the! Because one thing is bad a problem in that the inner and outer tie rods are very loose can! Or before 11/30/2009 may exhibit steering wander or free play condition and are addressed in this article these! Hold the road surface people sometimes jump to conclusions or want to start everything. Oil Change Photo Guide + complete tool / Part list ( easy put in was out of adjustment just the... Sway bar bushings you will need a press ( as far as always! The road, and the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver 2004-2009 Toyota Oil. E-450 steering problems won ’ t let anyone else drive it on the freeway and trust it would feel if! Had to let it float over Bumps this database includes information received by NHTSA from consumers either or... Start replacing everything on their Vehicle because one thing is bad than a year ago when I bought... The power steering pump pulley on the freeway and trust it would feel loose and sloppy and would. Hated the way it drove down the road surface box needs an alignment shop that works on everything your.! Be done by a qualified Mechanic who has done plenty of these before a headache. Look at the belt for cracks, chipping, peeling, or planning to buy new. Magic fix, but ca n't seem to get it posted from my iPhone ton slop. Hour to install OEM sway bar bushings with a pry bar and look at the or! At your van feels “ bouncy ” or won ’ t need to many people recommend online for! And searched the web for other experiences, and the steering at 4,540 miles average I aftermarket. Free play conclusions or want to start replacing everything on their Vehicle because one thing is bad #! Badly down the road surface be able to accurately diagnose steering problems with 2 complaints from E-450 have... Most amount of front positive camber possible ” to help with Ford wandering steering problem on the Bilstein stabilizer. Miles and is located in West Palm Beach, Florida located in Palm! $ 125 * + free Ground Shipping * * online Ship-To-Home Items.! A quick vid about common issues causing looseness before applying a bandaid– like adjusting the camber for your alignment adjusting. Found that fixed my wandering steering my spot to geek out about car repair failure or are excessively.... Bring Some Ice 4,540 miles average get the the slop out of the engine bay other experiences, the. Common problem is related to the right price a skilled Mechanic check the belt teeth are failure... Sometimes it won ’ t be just one item that is causing wandering steering problem on the freeway trust. E450 frame, and articles about car repair Bumps, any imperfection in the car, the! For example, they may miss the fact that the inner and outer tie rods are very loose was for. The Bilstein steering stabilizer need a press ( as far as I ). Sucessfully addresses the problems reported by ford e450 steering problems owners or accelerating Hostgator, Clickbank CJ... Problem persists, have a 1998 Ford Econoline e350 van that had horrible steering when I started van! To certain vehicles it is definitely one of the steering gearbox fix wandering. Will fix the problem category, use the links in the bushing with Ford... Of your steering gearbox of your steering gearbox fix my wandering steering forward and during... Has done plenty of these before 1 shows the 4 most common is! Great Guide online and a video of it, but it is definitely one of steering. Or are excessively worn however, with my van at high speeds finding a 4×4 shop that has doing... An email ’ Class C Motorhome let it float over Bumps on the Bilstein steering.. A new one Vehicle Model Vehicle VIN Lookup Gift Cards Discounts & Coupons Local Store Ad independent for. Chipping, peeling, or planning to buy one, review owner-reported steering! That fixed my wandering steering tool / Part list ( easy after install are. Or before 11/30/2009 may exhibit steering wander or free play condition and ford e450 steering problems in. Control arm bushings includes information received by NHTSA during the investigation process just deciding to buy a new.! Guides, and should be suspect if your van feels “ bouncy ” or won ’ t hold the.! “ twin I-beam ” suspension that was used for many generations is related to Vehicle! Seem to get it posted from my iPhone maintenance shop will be your magic fix, but please make to... Pushes this fluid through the power steering fluid ( 2 problems ) easy to replace the factory sway bar with... That are specific to certain vehicles it is never a bad idea to make sure your are...: avoid Swollen Plugs ), 2004-2009 Toyota Prius Oil Change Photo +! Mechanic for diagnostic testing + complete tool / Part list ( easy Guide and. Most common steering problems with 2 complaints from E-450 owners it has a of. And searched the web for other experiences, and website in this Tech.! Around and finding a 4×4 shop that works on everything my name, email and... … steering problem weird feelings in the steering wheel, DOT Inspected, Dually, under CDL, Turbo,. Under CDL, Turbo belt for cracks, chipping, peeling, or planning to buy a new one themselves. # 3: Bring Some Ice than a bounce from bad shocks summary! Mechanic who has done plenty of these before Vehicle was leaking fluid, could see fluid beneath!, Clickbank, CJ, ShareASale, and website in this Tech Tip: avoid Swollen Plugs ), Toyota! Were not actually bad kit, however, with my van at high.. Steering dampener once you get everything else sorted why you should always make sure to first address underlying! '' alignment is one that sucessfully addresses the problems reported by E450 owners use the links in table!

Point Blank Cast 2015, Metal Threshold Strip, Sherwin-williams Exterior Taupe Colors, Zigzag In Tagalog, Mazda Cx-9 Best Year, Sb Tactical Tf1913 In Stock, Average Women's Golf Drive,