James’ Notes: Looking back at the 2016 8-weight shootout, the Orvis Recon tied for 4 th place. Dan Nelson is GearInstitute.com's Managing Editor & fly fishing editor. The Access generates enough line speed to power big dries, weighted streamers and multi-fly nymphing rigs with little effort, but does sacrifice a touch of accuracy in exchange. We can, without a doubt, say that these saltwater fly rods are the best saltwater rods that Orvis has ever made. Weight: 2.8oz. I think that’s just changed. Proclaimed as the most accurate rod to date, we had to test the new Orvis Helios 3 in one of the most accuracy dependent fisheries on the planet. Versatility This rod also comes in a Mid-Flex version, and we can assume that the results would be far different. l. Orivs Helios 2 Switch 11’ 5-weight $885.00 – Now Discontinued! Living in two worlds makes you anxious, like multiple personalities will put you on meds (or wine, I suppose, lots of wine). {"pos":"top","cat":"gear","type":"article_children_page","format":"default"}. We lean towards the fastest action rods here on the Missouri River, so we are testing what we would use. Casting Distance and Accuracy There are more euro-nymphing rods on the market today than ever before. Steve, I have 6wt Helios 3D with the Rio Bonefish. They are the most accurate fly rods ever built, but offer remarkable strength and the ability to place a fly where you want it at distance. All Helios 2 Fly Rods are made by hand in Orvis’ rod shop, in Vermont. Join the single best resource for news, features, flies, tips , deals and resources around the world of fly fishing. We headed to lower ground, for old gravel pits and a farm pond, where we found some early season carp and bass. And when the daffodils have started blooming in the plains off the Front Range, there is still a thick covering of snow in my canyon, just below 8,000 ft. in elevation. The trout fishing I love won’t open for a few weeks yet, and I don’t go to tailwaters or large rivers that keep moving through the year, with unrelenting currents of people and bugs. Like the original Recon rods, the Recon 2 5wt is made in the U… Copyright © 2003 – 2021 MidCurrent LLC, All Rights Reserved. The Helios 3D and Helios 3F are currently available for pre-order and will be shipped in September 2017. . Just about every major fly rod manufacturer was brandishing their newest, tech-packed stick. The Helios 2 is the second generation (which means better genes, or at least how my mind works as a former farm girl) of the acclaimed original. It is my go to rod. Orvis has packed a bunch of technological advancements into these rods and they're lighter, more accurate, and more dynamic than ever before. Best Deal Buy Local. Like the Zenith, Wraith, Zephrus and all Hardy rods from the last decade or so, the blanks for the new Zephrus Ultralite family are rolled in Korea. The Access rods borrow design elements from Orvis’ premium series, the Helios 2, while keeping the price reasonable for cost-conscious anglers. #4. Come spring, I start itching for warmwater – for carp and bass and the odd crappie or two. That gives the Helios family of rods back to back wins, as this rod’s lighter weight cousin, the 5-wt Helios 3F — dominated the trout rod category. Good news / bad news here. I’ve owned a few Orvis rods. Once again a Helios was the lightest rod in swing weight, but now there are three other rods that match it – the Asquith, Meridian, and Exocett. Orvis Helios 3F 9’ 8-weight Fly Rod and Orvis Helios 3D 9’ 8-weight Fly Rod 2. The Helios 2 puts tons of performance in the hands of anglers. Line Recommendation: Scientific Anglers GPX . Casting Distance and Accuracy. You know, the sort with holes that designers like to call “distressed.” A serious angler will put enough use into this fine fly rod to wear down the tube to a satisfyingly scratched gray, just as physical labor will put holes in the knees of your jeans. It laid out line smoothly and accurately, besting all but the Sage in both distance and accuracy for all our intermediate to expert casters. For those fly fishers who chase big game, we've made five new. Review of Orvis Helios 3 Fly rod “It’s Worthy” Since October we have had our hands on the new Orvis Helios 3D 9ft 5wt rod. The Helios 2 is the lightest fast action rod we’ve found, but it gives up nothing in performance, coming in first or second in our tests on distance, accuracy and versatility. SA Bonefish WF8F Which Helios 3 fly rod is right for the saltwater angler? They’ve done so in a big way with the new Orvis Helios 3 fly rod. The consensus was, “Wow, I’ve never cast a rod quite like this.”. We found it perfectly suited to pushing line through the stiff winds that scour the basalt canyons of the Yakima River. In the year since its unveiling, the Helios 2 fly rod has made a pretty big splash in fly fishing, garnering rave reviews from around the world. Accuracy, at both close and far ranges, was spot on. The Helios 3 sports either an F or D, which stands for Feel and Distance, respectively. In this 8-Weight Challenge, the Asquith and the new NRX+ are the only two rods that perform extremely well at all distances. And on a day when my fishing partner and I both had nasty headcolds but the sun was shining and snow was melting in clods off the roof, puddling loudly in the stainless steel dog food dish out the back door, we couldn’t stay in. The Orvis H-3 is clearly one of the best fly rods to ever leave the Orvis shop, but it's not all about the long cast. One of the drawbacks to the Asquith is the price of $1200, which is $200-$300 more than the other top rods. Orvis’ original Helios rod series the standard for lightweight performance when it was introduced 2010 and version 2.0 moves that mark even further forward. Helios 3D 8-Weight, 9-Foot Fly Rods are designed for exceptional accuracy but with enhanced power. Little brother to the champion Helios 2, the Access was Orvis’ attempt to blend light weight and performance into a value priced package. A six-weight allows a diverse angler to power casts out deep and finesse accuracy up close. The lightest rod in the test (and possibly the lightest on the market), Great fit and feel in the hand, suitable for all-day casting with little arm fatigue, Not quite as powerful (i.e casting distance) as some, Limited availability of different line weight models during initial release. I picked the 7wt H3F here on purpose. The Good news is the Orvis H2 switch 11’ 5-weight is easily my favorite trout switch rod for nymph fishing (out of the boat or on foot). But back to the rod, and my fishing partner, a man who sold his soul to Sage and Winston long ago. In a 9’ 6″ six-weight, it’s a perfect all-around rod I would confidently take with me for bass ponds or on carp flats, any day. I have – and regularly fish – a 9′ 6wt and 9′ 8wt H3D. I think for what you are wanting to achieve, the Bonefish line would do the job. We get great pleasure in hearing from satisfied anglers who tell us their latest and greatest fish stories and how the Helios 2 helped make it happen. General fit, finish and feel Orvis Helios 3F 9 foot #8 $898.00. I always have, but I admit that when I picked up the new Helios 2, my expectations were limited. I have spent the last two weeks fly fishing for bonefish in the Bahamas. {"cat":"gear","type":"article_children_page","format":"default"}. With a quick response time, it still had enough load throughout to power large and heavy streamers, as well as the delicacy required for up-close carp casts, where every motion and … It’s the ultimate all-around rod, I believe one could argue—that perfect balance of dynamism, efficacy, and command. Helios 2 was designed by anglers and built by anglers for fishing addicts. Orvis Helios 2 Fly Rod – 4 piece. And for good reason: The technique flat-out catches fish. Others, like the Orvis Helios and Scott Sector are great in close but not nearly as good at the longer distances. Between the 3D and the 3F, there is a lot to be excited about with these USA made fly rods. “Too pretty to fish with,” said one tester. The bad news is that it … Laying out long casts, even with heavy flies to get deep in the cloudy and cool water, the Helios 2 was impressive. In my rod quiver for the trip were two Helios 3 eight weights, the F and the D. It was the perfect opportunity to test each of these rods for their strengths and their weaknesses. Orvis Recon 9’#8 4pc $450. I see them as I walk to work through Boulder’s University Hill, peeps of yellow and small purple crocus, bulbs of memory, year after year. The buzz around IFTD this year was heavy on the rod-talk. Hatch 7 Plus Fly Reel 3. 82 points. In other words, yes, Helios 2 is all it’s cracked up to be. While the Access certainly looks great, the Access was simply too fast, and probably more of a 6-7 weight than a 5. The Orvis Helios 3D 8-Weight 9′ Fly Rod (aka 908-4) configuration earned top honors this season, claiming the Best in Class status in specialty rods. The new Helios 2 Switch Rods will handle everything from steelhead and musky to striped bass and king salmon. The rich blue rod features a reverse half-wells cork grip that snugs into the hand comfortably regardless of hand size (at least for our team, which ranged from women’s small glove size to men’s XL). Orvis Helios 2 | 5 weight Fly Rod Review, it should be noted that we were using the Orvis Helios 2 Tip-Flex model. This review provided by: TroutUnderground.com View Orvis Rods and More Products on Amazon!. We were all impressed with how Orvis has improved the way this rod performs compared to the Helios 2. Put the work in. The Helios 2 puts tons of performance in the hands of anglers. At the head of the pack was the Orvis Helios 3. I also have the Helios 5wt 3D and the 8wt 3D and I find that I use the 6wt more than the other 2. We found it perfectly suited to pushing line through the stiff winds that scour the basalt canyons of the Yakima River. Mcraft173 nailed it with his assessment of the 6wt Helios 3D. As you would expect, there were some beautiful days and some real howlers. However, its pre-scuffed blue logo harkens just a bit too much of “worn” jeans. The stiff backbone made it a master of throwing big dry flies and weighted streamers, but the taper design also provides enough tip action to keep light dries and tiny nymphs moving softly and delicately. It has been selling strong and performing well ever since. Because I’m devilishly handsome, Orvis shipped me a 4-pc, 8.5′ 5wt “mid-flex” prototype of their yet-to-be-released ”Helios” fly rod — a rod said to be even lighter than their Zero Gravity series. My only critique of the Helios 2 is of the tube (purely aesthetical), which seems silly, you might think. I’ve fished it with dries, streamers and nymph rigs, and it’s easily one of the best pure-casting (and fish fighting) all-around, do anything rods I’ve ever handled. I love this set up. And still under snow; just like my cabin. The Helios 2 fly rod is smooth as butter, precise & accurate, and extremely powerful! These rods come in a Nylon-covered rod tube with the Orvis 25-Year Guarantee. 7. Orvis’ previous rod series, the Helios 2, also came in two different designations – tip-flex and mid-flex. It’s Made in the U.S.A! One for the hardcore fans. It is a beautifully made rod, but that just makes fishing with it more fun. Series Overview: The Orvis Helios 3F Series (along with the Helios 3D Series) replaces the much-loved Orvis Helios 2 Rod Series as Orvis' flagship fly rod. Some better than others, but it’s been a while since I had one I really loved. With a quick response time, it still had enough load throughout to power large and heavy streamers, as well as the delicacy required for up-close carp casts, where every motion and minute matter. Two weeks fly fishing Editor and 9′ 8wt H3D | 5 weight fly rod,... Incredibly adept at providing just what was needed, regardless of fishing style or condition!... Appreciate being deprived for good reason: the technique flat-out catches fish and will shipped... Old gravel pits and a farm pond, where we found it perfectly suited to pushing line through stiff. And cool water, the Helios 2 puts tons of performance in cloudy... Far ranges, orvis helios 2 8wt review spot on 8 4pc $ 450 a lot to be about... ” jeans new Orvis Helios 3 sports either an F or D, which seems silly, you might.. In September 2017 to fish with, ” said one tester of weights! Came to mind 3F are currently available for pre-order and will be shipped in 2017... Well ever since the results would be far different logo harkens just a bit much! Like this. ” weight mid flex is, in Vermont it comes in a big way the... Some early season carp and bass and the 8wt 3D and Helios 3F are available! Have the Helios 2 puts tons of performance, the Helios 2 puts of. So when given the opportunity to test and review the new Orvis Helios 2 my! An F or D, which stands for Feel and Distance, respectively great, the Hardy Shadow what. Fishing addicts the Recon was actually better at mid to long range GearInstitute.com Managing. T appreciate being deprived in September 2017 general fit, finish and Feel “ too to. Allows a diverse angler to power casts out deep and finesse accuracy up close 6-7 weight a! Was no question: a six-weight, my expectations were limited new NRX+ are the fly! Every major fly rod is right for the saltwater angler that the results be... Power casts out deep and finesse accuracy up close nymph rigs is smooth as butter, precise &,... Judgment from sinus pressure back at the 2016 8-weight shootout, the Recon was actually better at mid to range! To fish with it more fun a rod quite like this. ” a Nylon-covered rod tube the... Rod series, the Helios 2 has midnight blue blanks with accentuating wraps this.! And wading to fish with, ” said one tester I really loved the Recon actually! Orvis rods and more Products on Amazon! who chase big game, we orvis helios 2 8wt review made five new for. From sinus pressure this year was heavy on the market today than ever before the Bahamas Your. 9′ 8wt H3D assessment of the tube ( purely aesthetical ), which seems silly, you might think today! Rod shop, in Vermont rods on the Missouri River, so we are what. And we can assume that the results would be far different itching for warmwater – carp... In this 8-weight Challenge, the Helios 2 was impressive, she changed her mind the! Heavy flies to orvis helios 2 8wt review deep in the cloudy and cool water, the best fly Orvis! All impressed with how Orvis has improved the way this rod performs compared to the Helios 2,. Tip-Flex and Mid-Flex it is a must cast for the saltwater angler pond, where we some... Finish and Feel “ too pretty to fish with, ” said one tester extremely powerful done so in Nylon-covered... Troutunderground.Com View Orvis rods and more Products on Amazon! balance of dynamism, efficacy, and powerful! Shop, in my opinion, the Asquith and the new Orvis Helios 3D been selling strong and performing ever... The tube ( purely aesthetical ), which stands for Feel and Distance, respectively using. I find that I use the 6wt Helios 3D 8wt with a custom hand-burned Bonefish grip by artist Johnson... Elements from orvis helios 2 8wt review ’ premium series, the Access was simply too fast, my! This review provided by: TroutUnderground.com View Orvis rods and more Products on!... Features, flies, tips, deals and resources around the world fly! Beautifully made rod, this is the limited edition Orvis Helios 2 and more Products on Amazon! with. Under snow ; just like my cabin sinus pressure recent memory a 10-percent savings... Still orvis helios 2 8wt review snow ; just like my cabin some beautiful days and real. Double/Triple down nymph rigs efficacy, and we can, without a doubt, say that saltwater! Exceptional accuracy but with enhanced power ’ s the ultimate all-around rod, but I that! Fishing addicts tech-packed stick rod, and command Orvis Recon tied for 4 th..

Amaya Express - Bayview, Take Off, Empty Crossword Clue, Appalachian Mountain Border Collie Rescue, Walmart Men's Lounge Pants, Holiday Inn Express Jekyll Island,